Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mary Cassatt Young Mother Sewing painting

Mary Cassatt Young Mother Sewing paintingGuido Reni The Penitent Magdalene paintingEdward Hopper People In The Sun painting
Your father used to do a certain amount of work for us, you know.”
“I know.”
“Restorations mostly. Occasionally he used to make a facsimile for a client who was selling a picture to America and wanted one to take its place. That kind of work.”
“Often they were his own compositions.”
“Well, yes, I believe a few of them were. What we call in the trade ‘pastiche,’ you know.”
“I saw some of them,” I said.
“He was wonderfully gifted.”
“Wonderfully.”
A pause. Mr. Godley twiddled his Old Harrovian tie. “His work with us was highly confidential.”
“Of course.”
“I was wondering—our firm was, whether you had been through his papers yet. I mean, did he keep any records of his work or anything of the kind?”
“I’m afraid I haven’t been through his things yet. I should think it quite likely. He was very methodical in some ways.”
“The papers are all in your own hands?”
“So far as I know.”
“If anything of the kind was to turn up, we could rely on your discretion. I mean it would do no one any good ... I mean you would want your father to be remembered by his

No comments: